U2 Live at The Thomas Mack Arena Las Vegas Nevada Sunday November 18, 2001

"Angel in Devil's shoes, Salvation In the Blues"

First off this post is dedicated to my Nephew In Law David LeBarron RIP.  He gave me these tickets two days before the show.  He even FedEx'd them to make sure I got them on time.  The show was on a Sunday night.  Jeri went with me to this show because who else would I give a free U2 ticket to and still be able to live to tell about about?  Both of us had to work the following Monday so we knocked this road trip out in one day.  Four hours there and four hours back.  I drove but I'm sure I had some assistance 😉.

I really believe in the healing power of music and in these recent days when once again the people of New York are teaching us how to be brave in the face of a brand new fear I have really turned to music to help me get though the days.


I had already seen U2 on this tour in April of 2001.  I tried to find the set let for that first show to post but it turns out they did 4 shows in Anaheim in April of 2001 and I can't remember which one we attended.  But now this was November of 2001 just 7 months later and only a month after 9/11 and we were living in a completely different world.  Well at least Americans were living in a completely different world.  This leg of the tour was almost canceled due to the anthrax threats that were all over the United States at the time.

I remember once watching an interview with Billy Joel and him explaining how one of the reasons why America fell so in love with the Beatles was because America was in a funk at the time having just begun to heal after the assassination of JFK.  At the time of the Beatles we all needed something to love and cheer for and pull us all together.  JFK was assassinated on November 22, 1963.  The Beatles debuted on Ed Sullivan February 9th, 1964.

I remember being a little afraid of being in a large arena with 1000's of people 17,999 on this night to be exact.  But I also remember one of the lessons post 9/11 was that we could not live in fear.  We could not let fear change the way we lived.  Well up until Covid-19 but this is temporary and we'll get through this and music will carry some of us through this.

  1. Elevation
  2. Beautiful Day-Touch me take me to that other place teach me I know I'm not a hopeless case.
  3. Until The End Of The World
  4. New Year's Day
  5. I Will Follow, Amazing Grace (snippet), Anthem (snippet)
  6. Sunday Bloody Sunday
  7. Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of-It's just a moment this time will pass.
  8. Kite-Bono dedicated to Elvis this night.
  9. Wild Honey
  10. People Get Ready-Bono brings a young lady up on stage and let's her play guitar and sing along. 
  11. Please-"It's a song about fundamentalists and how they recreate god...you know what I'm talking about"
  12. Bad, Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses (snippet)-Live this song will always hit me hard.  Lord knows I've been Bad and every day I'm alive is gift but I remember those dark days and this song always pulls me through it. Not Fade Away NO.
  13. Where The Streets Have No Name with Psalm 116
  14. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
  15. Pride-With MLK I have a Dream Speech snippet on the screens behind the band midway through
  16. Bullet The Blue Sky-Outside it's America!
  17. What's Going On with Gwen Stefani-Yes, No Doubt was the opening act for tonight.  Truth be told I was a little bummed because Garbage was the opening act the first few shows of this leg of the tour. 
  18. New York, I Love New York (snippet), New York New York (snippet), The Battle Hymn Of The Republic (snippet), I Love New York (snippet)-With alternate lyrics of political nuts religious fanatics are not welcomed in New York.  Bono finishes the song with Glory Glory Haliluah from Battle Hymm of The Republic. 
  19. One, Can't Help Falling In Love (snippet)-Sisters brothers the names of the 9/11 victims scroll on video monitors behind the band for the duration of the song
  20. Walk On, Hallelujah (traditional) (snippet)-and I know it aches and your heart it breaks you can only take so much....Walk On....You got to leave it behind. 
All that you fashion
All that you make
All that you build
All that you break
All that you measure
All that you steal
All this you feel
All that you reason
All that you care (It's only time)
And I'll never fill up all my mind
All that you sense
All that you speak
All you dress up
And all that you scheme
All you create
All that you wreck
All that you hate

Thanks for reading.-JR





Comments